DePuy Synthes

Choosing a Doctor

DePuy Synthes

Choosing a Doctor

Get back to life through recovery & rehabilitation.

When to Choose Arthroscopic Hip Surgery?

If you have tried medication, physical therapy and other conservative methods of treatment, and you are still experiencing hip pain, your doctor may recommend hip arthroscopy.
When choosing an orthopaedic surgeon, keep the following things in mind:

  • Orthopaedic surgeons are medical doctors or osteopaths with an MD or DO degree who have completed a residency in orthopaedics
  • Many orthopaedic surgeons choose to specialize even further by taking a fellowship, which usually lasts six to 12 months. In addition to the clinical credentials, a good surgeon will display a good bedside manner. That means taking time to hear your concerns and answering your questions fully.
How to Prepare for Your Visit with a Specialist

How to Prepare for Your Visit with a Specialist

Once you have made an appointment with a specialist, there are some things you can do to prepare for your visit. This includes putting together a short history of your health for your doctor.   

Creating a history of your health

Use the list below to help you create a medical history.

  • All the medicines and supplements you take, including their dosage and frequency. 
  • Major illnesses or chronic conditions you have suffered from. 
  • Surgeries you have had and any related complications such as reactions to anesthesia. 
  • Allergies and sensitivities you have to food or medications. 
  • Your family history of diabetes, cancer or heart disease. 
  • Your lifestyle habits including smoking, alcohol intake, exercise and special diet.

Physicians That Treat Hip Pain

As you seek treatment for your hip, you will likely come into contact with a variety of different medical professionals, including Primary Care Providers, Orthopaedic Surgeons, Sports Medicine Specialists and Rheumatologists. Discover what kind of services each of them offers. 

Primary Care Providers (PCP)/Internists

The medical professionals you see for common medical issues such as a check-up or a non-emergency illness are referred to as Primary Care Providers (PCP) or Internists. Depending upon the type and severity of your hip condition, the PCP/Internist may refer you to a specialist such as an Orthopaedic Surgeon, a Rheumatologist or a Sports Medicine Specialist for further treatment.  

Orthopaedic Surgeons

Medical doctors with extensive training treating injuries and conditions of the musculoskeletal system—the bones, joints and muscles in the body—are called Orthopaedic Surgeons. 

Sports Medicine Specialists

Physicians who specialize in the prevention, evaluation and treatment of injuries related to sports and exercise are called Sports Medicine Specialists. Though perceived to just treat athletes, Sports Medicine Specialists are able to treat other patients as well.  If it is believed surgery is needed to correct your condition, most of these specialists are also Orthopaedic Surgeons. 


Medical doctors who diagnose and treat both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as other disorders of the bones, joints, ligaments and muscles are known as Rheumatologists. Rheumatologists may recommend treatment of a hip condition, for example, with medication, physical therapy or steroid injections. If it is believed surgery is needed to correct a problem, you may be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon for further evaluation.




No available references.

Important Safety Information

As with any medical treatment, individual results may vary. There are potential risks and recovery takes time. People with conditions limiting rehabilitation should not have this surgery. Only an orthopaedic surgeon can tell if hip arthroscopy is right for you.

149944-200814 EMEA