You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Committed to shaping the future of surgery in the fight against obesity and metabolic diseases and helping to elevate the standard of care through research and evidence, best-in-class education and training, innovative products and expanding patient access to care. Together, we're advancing surgical care, enabling patients to live longer, more fulfilling lives.
Your Choice of Stapler Matters
In the first and only real-world matched comparison between ECHELON FLEX GST System and Medtronic’s Signia Stapling System with Tri-Staple reloads, the use of the ECHELON FLEX Powered Staplers with GST reloads was associated with a significant reduction in the rate of hemostasis-related complications in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.1*
Bariatric Professional Education Courses
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers comprehensive Bariatric specialty learning opportunities on the safe and efficacious usage of Ethicon devices, surgical techniques and measures to provide ongoing learning opportunities to improve patient outcomes.
Featured Bariatric Products
STRATAFIX™ Spiral Knotless Tissue Control Device
With significantly more points of fixation than traditional sutures, STRATAFIX™ Knotless Tissue Control Devices give surgeons more consistent control over every pass and combine the strength and security of interrupted closure with the efficiency of continuous closure.5-7
ECHELON FLEX GST System
ECHELON FLEX GST System Controls tissue movement to transect as you intend even on challenging tissue.2‡
HARMONIC HD 1000i Shears
Increased sealing speed, multi-functionality, and simplified steps for use allows for optimal efficiency.3§
HARMONIC ACE+7 SHEARS with Advanced Hemostasis
In a Design Validation Study, 100% of surgeons indicated that HARMONIC ACE+7 Shears delivers added value with the addition of large-vessel sealing to the multifunctionality of HARMONIC.4¶
Research & Evidence
Driving the body of evidence that strives to demonstrate that surgery is an effective and durable treatment for severe obesity.
Education and Training
Aiming to provide a comprehensive suite of bariatric professional education programs on current and emerging procedures to enhance the patient experience and coordinated patient care models
Access and Reimbursement
Helping to improve access to care for people suffering with obesity across EMEA
Innovation based on the evolving needs of surgeons and providers: aiming to provide a comprehensive portfolio of market leading products and resources for the best clinical and economic outcomes
*Based on retrospective analysis of hemostasis-related complication outcomes from 982 laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy cases between March 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018 from US Premier Healthcare Database comparing ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Staplers with GST reloads to Signia™ Stapling System with Tri-Staple™(0.61% versus 2.24%, p=0.0012).
† Based on retrospective analysis of median total hospital cost outcomes from 982 laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy cases between March 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018 from US Premier Healthcare Database (Ethicon ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Staplers with GST reloads vs Medtronic Stapling System with Tri-Staple™ reloads, $9,771 vs. $10,487, p<0.001). The difference was not significant for mean total hospital costs
‡ Challenging tissue—thick, fragile, and varying thickness and density
§ Based on a pre-clinical study on seal reliability and average time to transect 150mm of porcine jejunum, device measurements based on a metrology study, engineering study of average device tip grasping force and a porcine study comparing sealing times of HARMONIC™ ACE+7™ and HARMONIC™ HD1000i.
¶ In a Design Validation Study with surgeons (n=30) operating in simulated procedures in an animate porcine model (30/30=100%).
1. Rawlins L, Johnson BH, Johnston SS, et al. Comparative Effectiveness Assessment of Two Powered Surgical Stapling Platforms in Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Retrospective Matched Study. Med Devices (Auckl). 2020;13:195-204.
2. Ethicon, PRC076031B Tissue Performance Design Verification Test of 45mm Gripping Surface Technology (GST) Reloads with Echelon Flex 45mm Powered Plus Staplers, Sep 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC067394A Tissue flow and functional performance of ENDOPATH ECHELON™ Reloads (GST) and Covidien’s reloads with TriStaple™ technology, July 2014, Data on file ((113328-191211 EMEA)
3. Ethicon, PRC074111B, Buccaneer DV Grasping Force – Tip Bite,March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074125B, Buccaneer DV-Vessel Transection Speed, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074127B, Buccaneer DV Transection Speed – Marching And Tip Bite, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074432A, Buccaneer Energy Vessel Tissue Claims, March 2016, Data on file Ethicon, PRC074607A, Buccaneer Metrology Claims, March 2016, Data on file (118714-190716 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, PRC065010A, Design Validation Completion Report, Feb 2014, Data on file (118809-190717 EMEA)
5. Ethicon, 100326296 Time Zero Tissue Holding - Competitive Claims Comparisons for STRATAFIX Knotless Tissue Control Devices vs Various Products. May 2015. Data on File (060070-200720 EMEA)
6. Moran ME, Marsh C, Perrotti M. Bidirectional-barbed sutured knotless running anastomosis v classic Van Velthoven suturing in a model system. J Endourol. 2007;21(10):1175-1178.
7. Vakil JJ, O'Reilly MP, Sutter EG, Mears SC, Belkoff SM, Khanuja HS. Knee arthrotomy repair with a continuous barbed suture: a biomechanical study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(5):710-713