You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
The Clinical Evidence newsletters provide go-to summaries of our Biosense Webster, Inc. supported publications, deliver highlights from independent publications relevant to the latest electrophysiology technologies, and amplify valuable information from trusted voices in the electrophysiology field.
Benefits of Very Early Referral to AF Ablation
- Real-world evidence showing the clinical and economic benefits of referring AF ablation patients to catheter ablation within 6 months of diagnosis.
NICE AF Clinical Guideline
- Updated 2021 guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) on atrial fibrillation management recommend radiofrequency point-by-point ablation as the most cost-effective strategy to treat atrial fibrillation.
2021 HRS Meeting Highlights
- 4D intracardiac echocardiography
- Cloud-based artificial intelligence engine
- Coherent mapping
- Ripple mapping
- Healthcare utilization
Early Catheter Ablation Benefits
- Results of the ATTEST randomized controlled study demonstrated superiority of radiofrequency catheter ablation over antiarrhythmic drug treatment in delaying AF disease progression.
- Real-world evidence showed reduction in healthcare utilization and cost after paroxysmal and persistent AF catheter ablation.
Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation for Persistent AF
- PRECEPT study demonstrated the safety and effectiveness of THERMOCOOL SMARTTOUCH® SF contact-force sensing radiofrequency catheter ablation in persistent AF patients.
- New European Society of Cardiology Guidelines for AF diagnosis and management.
Arrhythmias in COVID-19 Patients and Value of Ultrasound
- Atrial arrhythmias are common in COVID-19 patients and can result in serious complications in severely ill patients.
- A growing number of medical societies recommended alternative imaging modalities such as ultrasound for cardiac procedures. Use of intracardiac ultrasound during catheter ablation lowers fluoroscopy and overall procedure times.
Safety in Atrial Fibrillation Ablation
- Postmarket surveillance safety study found similar incidence of atrioesophageal fistula between contact force-sensing and noncontact force-sensing catheters.
- Real-world evidence showed that use of intracardiac echocardiography is a strong predictors of lowering cardiac perforation risk during AF catheter ablation procedures.
The THERMOCOOL SMARTTOUCH® SF Catheter is indicated for the treatment of drug refractory recurrent symptomatic paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (AF) and for drug refractory recurrent symptomatic persistent AF (continuous AF > 7 days but < 1 year), refractory or intolerant to at least 1 Class I or III AAD, when used with the CARTO® 3 System.
The CARTO VISITAG™ Module provides access to data collected during the application of RF energy. The data does not indicate the effectiveness of RF energy application. CARTO VISITAG® Module settings are user defined based on the user’s clinical experience and medical judgment. Biosense Webster, Inc. does not recommend any settings for the CARTO VISITAG™
Always verify catheter tip location using fluoroscopy or IC signals and consult the CARTO® 3 System User Guide regarding recommendations for fluoroscopy use.
Pellegrino PL, Brunett, ND, Gravina D, Sacchetta D, De Sanctis V, Panigada S, Di Biase L., Di Biase M., and Mantica M. (2013). Nonfluoroscopic mapping reduces radiation exposure in ablation of atrial fibrillation. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine 14, 528-533.
Earley MJ, Showkathali R, Alzetani M, Kistler PM, Gupta D, Abrams DJ, Horrocks JA, Harris SJ, Sporton SC, and Schilling RJ (2006). Radiofrequency ablation of arrhythmias guided by non-fluoroscopic catheter location: a prospective randomized trial. Eur Heart J 27, 1223-1229
Important information: Prior to use, refer to the instructions for use supplied with this device for indications, contraindications, side effects, warnings and precautions.
Caution: US law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.
© Biosense Webster, Inc. 2021