You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Ethicon has pioneered advances in wound closure that enable you to maximize operating room efficiency, optimize healing, and improve patient outcomes.
Ethicon is the global leader in wound closure, with products that improve efficiency, healing, and patient outcomes.
Save OR time1* with consistent, reliable performance
Explore innovative products designed to optimize wound healing
Address complications and readmissions
STRATAFIX™ Knotless Tissue Control Devices
STRATAFIX™ barbed sutures deliver more efficiency and strength33 than traditional suturing—without knot-related complications.2-4 Compared to traditional sutures, STRATAFIX™ reduced length of stay5 and time in the operating room.1
DERMABOND® PRINEO® Skin Closure System
An alternative to skin staples and sutures, the DERMABOND PRINEO System combines the proven strength, flexibility, and microbial barrier protection of DERMABOND ADVANCED® Topical Skin Adhesive with a self-adhering mesh to facilitate wound-edge approximation and an optimal healing environment.6-11
Plus Antibacterial Sutures
Ethicon Plus Antibacterial Sutures are the only triclosan-coated sutures commercially available worldwide—and are backed by a large body of evidence.12-25 Triclosan-coated sutures are endorsed by global health authorities.26-30,34 Meta-analysis showed a 28% reduction in surgical site infection (SSI) risk with triclosan-coated sutures.14,35,36
EVERPOINT® Cardiovascular Needle
EVERPOINT Needles combine the strongest needle alloy ever made31 with a unique silicone coating to deliver smooth, consistent penetration through even the most challenging tissue.31 EVERPOINT Needles are up to 38% stronger32 and ~100% more bend resistant than conventional stainless steel suture needles.31
All Wound Closure Products
Shaping the Future of Surgery
At Ethicon, we’re focused on improving health outcomes for patients and helping solve the greatest health challenges…with meaningful innovation. The kind that led to the creation of the first sutures, helped revolutionize surgery with minimally invasive procedures, and elevated the standards of care around the world.
*As shown in a study comparing STRATAFIX® Knotless Tissue Control Device with conventional sutures in spinal surgery.'
- Johnston S, Chen B, Tommaselli G, Jain S, Pracyk J. Barbed and conventional sutures in spinal surgery patients: an economic and clinical outcomes comparison. J Wound Care. 2020;29(5):S9-S20.
- Moran ME, Marsh C, Perrotti M. Bidirectional-barbed sutured knotless running anastomosis v classic Van Velthoven suturing in a model system. J Endourol. 2007;21(10):1175-1178.
- Vakil JJ, O'Reilly MP, Sutter EG, Mears SC, Belko SM, Khanuja HS. Knee arthrotomy repair with a continuous barbed suture: a biomechanical study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(5):710-713.
- Nonnenman H. 100326296: Time zero tissue holding - Competitive claims comparisons for STRATAFIX Knotless Tissue Control Devices vs various products. 2015. Ethicon, Inc.
- Sutton N, Schmitz N, Johnston S. Comparing outcomes between barbed and conventional sutures in patients undergoing knee or hip arthroplasty. J Comp Eff Res. 2018;7(10):975-987.
- DERMABOND® PRINEO® Skin Closure System Instructions for Use. Ethicon, Inc.
- Keplinger S. Protocol investigation of the comparison of PRINEO with conventional wound closure techniques. Protocol 07PD048. May 15, 2007. Ethicon, Inc.
- Thomson CM. Multi-centre study to show equivalence of DERMABOND PROTAPE to INTRADERMAL SUTURES for skin closure of full thickness surgical incisions associated with breast procedures. Protocol 07CS003. Final Report. July 9, 2010. Ethicon, Inc.
- Thomson CM. Multi-centre study to show equivalence of DERMABOND PROTAPE to INTRADERMAL SUTURES for skin closure of full thickness surgical incisions. Protocol 06CS005. Final Report. June 10, 2010.
- Shapiro A, Dinsmore R, North J, Tensile strength of wound closure with cyanoacrylate glue. Am Surg. 2001;67:1113-1115.
- Kannon GA, Garrett AB. Moist wound healing with occlusive dressings. Dermatol Surg. 1995;21:583-590.
- Edmiston CE, Seabrook GR, Goheen MP, et al. Bacterial adherence to surgical sutures: can antibacterial-coated sutures reduce the risk of microbial contamination? J Am Coll Surg. 2006;203(4):481-489.
- Edmiston CE, Daoud FC, Leaper D. Is there an evidence-based argument for embracing an antimicrobial (triclosan)-coated suture technology to reduce the risk for surgical-site infections?: A meta-analysis. Surgery. 2013;154:89-100.
- de Jonge SW, Atema JJ, Solomkin JS, Boermeester MA. Meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of triclosan-coated sutures for the prevention of surgical-site infection. Br J Surg. 2017;104(2):e118-e133. doi:10.1002/bjs.10445.
- Leaper DJ, Edmiston CE Jr, Holy CE. Meta-analysis of the potential economic impact following introduction of absorbable antimicrobial sutures. Br J Surg. 2017;104(2):e134-e144. doi:10.1002/bjs.10443.
- Apisarnthanarak A, Singh N, Bandong AN, et al. Triclosan-coated sutures reduce the risk of surgical site infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Infect Control Hosp Epidemic. 2015;36:169-179.
- Chang WK, Srinivasa S, Morton R, et al. Triclosan-impregnated sutures to decrease surgical site infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Ann Surg. 2012;255(5):854-859.
- Daoud FC, Edmiston CE Jr, Leaper D. Meta-analysis of prevention of surgical site infections following incision closure with triclosan-coated sutures: robustness to new evidence. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2014;15(3):165-181.
- Daoud FC. Systematic literature review update of the PROUD Trial: potential usefulness of a collaborative database. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2014;15(6):857-858.
- Guo J, Pan LH, Li YX, et al. Efficacy of triclosan- coated sutures for reducing risk of surgical site infection in adults: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Surg Res. 2016; 201(1):105-117.
- Sajid MS, Craciunas L, Sains P, et al. Use of antibacterial sutures for skin closure in controlling surgical site infections: a systematic review of published randomized, controlled trials. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2013;1(1):42-50.
- Sandini M, Mattavelli I, Nespoli L, Uggeri F, Gianotti L. Systematic review and meta-analysis of sutures coated with triclosan for the prevention of surgical site infection after elective colorectal surgery according to the PRISMA statement. Medicine (Baltimore). 2014;95(35):e4057. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004057.
- Wang ZX, Jiang CP, Cao Y, Ding YT. Systematic review and meta-analysis of triclosan-coated sutures for the prevention of surgical-site infection. Br J Surg. 2013;100(4):465-473.
- Wu X, Kubilay NZ, Ren J, et al. Antimicrobial-coated sutures to decrease surgical site infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;36(1):19-32.
- Ahmed I, Boulton AJ, Rizvi S, et al. The use of triclosan-coated sutures to prevent surgical site infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature. BMJ Open. 2019;9:e029727. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-029727.
- Berrios-Torres SI, Umscheid CA, Bratzler DW, et al. Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(8):784-791.
- Ban KA, Minei JP, Laronga C, et al. American college of surgeons and surgical infection society: surgical site infection guidelines, 2016 update. J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224(1):59-74.
- NICE Guideline Updates Team (UK). Surgical site infection: prevention and treatment. NICE website. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng125/chapter/Recommendations#closuremethods. Accessed April 3, 2020.
- World Health Organization. Global guidelines for the prevention of surgical site infection. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/250680/9789241549882-eng.pdf?sequence=8. Published November 2016. Accessed April 3, 2020.
- Prevention of postoperative wound infections. Recommendation of the Committee for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention (KRINKO) at the Robert Koch Institute. Bundesgesundheitsbl. 2018;61(4):448-473.
- Cichocki FR, Maurer RE, Bar SN. Tungsten-rhenium suture needles with improved properties for coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010;94B(2):493-500.
- Ethicon Products R&D Technical Memo #CT11-013. July 15, 2011. Ethicon, Inc.
- Refers to STRATAFIX™ Symmetric PDS™ Plus Knotless Tissue Control Device only.
- Guidelines on reducing the risk of surgical site infections are general to triclosan-coated sutures and are not specific to any one brand.
- In a meta-analysis of 21 randomized clinical trials (RCTs), 6462 patients, 95% Cl: (14, 40%), P<0.001.
- All triclosan-coated sutures in these RCTs were Ethicon Plus Antibacterial Sutures (MONOCRYL® Plus Antibacterial [poliglecaprone 25) Suture, Coated VICRYL® Plus Antibacterial [polyglactin 910) Suture, and PDS® Plus Antibacterial [polydioxanone] Suture).
© Ethicon US, LLC. 2019.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.
This site is published by Ethicon US, LLC, which is solely responsible for its contents, and is intended for U.S. audiences only.
This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 20, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.