You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Over the last 20 years, Ethicon has contributed more to advancing bariatric surgery and the science and treatment of obesity than any other device maker. We relentlessly invest in innovation to provide a comprehensive portfolio of market-leading medical device products for bariatric and metabolic surgery.
Ethicon Bariatric Resources
Ethicon provides a comprehensive portfolio of materials designed to power transformations by supporting your engagements with healthcare professionals and patients at every stage of their journey, from making the decision to have surgery, to sustaining a healthy lifestyle post-operatively.
Bariatric Professional Education Courses
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers comprehensive Bariatric specialty learning opportunities on the safe and effective usage of Ethicon devices, surgical techniques and ideas on enhancing the patient experience and outcomes.
Commercial Bariatric Insurance Policy Dashboard for HCPs
While access to care has improved, coverage policies and criteria for weight-loss surgery vary across employer and commercial plans. This proprietary tool curates publicly available health plan information to track bariatric surgery policy changes, supporting advocacy and coverage.*†
Featured Bariatric Products
ECHELON™+ Stapler with GST Reloads
Advancing security to deliver fewer leaks at the staple line and better staple formation, even in challenging conditions.§
HARMONIC® 1100 Shears
HARMONIC® 1100 Shears is designed to deliver faster transection speeds, lower maximum blade temperature & more precise dissection capabilities.
STRATAFIX™ is a portfolio of barbed sutures that deliver more efficiency, more strength,‡ and more consistency than traditional suture.1-3 Use the STRATAFIX™ Selection Guide to help you choose the right STRATAFIX™ for you.
VISTASEAL™ Fibrin Sealant (Human)
VISTASEAL™ mimics the clot formation process and forms a rapid, adherent, and durable clot regardless of the patient’s coagulation profile.4-7
Do not inject directly into the circulatory system. Do not use for the treatment of severe or brisk arterial bleeding. Do not use in patients with history of anaphylaxis or severe systemic reactions to human blood products. Do not use VISTASEAL for spraying unless the minimum recommended distance from the applicator tip to the bleeding site can be achieved.
As potential patients learn about bariatric and metabolic surgery, they also search for surgeons in their area.
Your Choice of Stapler Matters
With decisions from surgical approach to postoperative management, every choice matters. ECHELON is the portfolio that goes "beyond the benchtop", using real-world evidence in bariatric surgery to support innovative performance and design for a better way to staple.
Research & Evidence
Driving the body of evidence that shows bariatric surgery is the most effective and durable treatment for severe obesity.
Ethicon supports your patients through their bariatric surgery journey by guiding them through the pre-surgical process, supporting them in goal setting and allowing them to track their progress.
* The information provided is based on analysis of data aggregated from one or more data sources and does not represent any statement, promise or guarantee by Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies (“JJMDC”) concerning costs, clinical outcomes or data accuracy. Always check with your insurance provider regarding up-to-date coverage information. The information should be carefully considered along with clinical experience, treatment patterns and other factors pertaining to the specific institution or patients. The information being provided is not a substitute for clinical judgment, and neither JJMDC nor any other party involved in the preparation or publication of this information shall be liable to you or others for any decisions made or action taken by you or others in reliance on this information.
† If you have any questions regarding the tool, please contact ETHICON REIMBURSEMENT SUPPORT SERVICES 1-888-750-1242; [email protected]
‡ Refers to STRATAFIX™ Symmetric PDS™ Plus Knotless Tissue Control Device only.
§ Fewer leaks benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤ 52mmHg (Double the 26mmHG average pressure experienced during intra‐operative leak test), comparing Ethicon ECHELON+ Stapler PSEE60A with GST Reloads GST60B to Medtronic Signia Stapler with Tri‐Staple Reloads EGIA60AMT. Cumulative number of leaked tests (14/30), (23/30) respectively, n=30 p < 0.05. Staple formation benchtop testing in 3.3mm and 4.0mm porcine tissue comparing malformed staples between ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (GST60G,GST60T) to Medtronic Signia™ Stapler with Tri‐ Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT) and Endo GIA™ with Tri‐Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT). Percentage malformed results: 1.14% vs 4.28% respectively, p < 0.05.
1. Moran ME, Marsh C, Perrotti M. Bidirectional‐barbed sutured knotless running anastomosis v classic Van Velthoven suturing in a model system. J Endourol. 2007;21(10):1175‐ 1178.
2. Vakil JJ, O'Reilly MP, Sutter EG, Mears SC, Belko SM, Khanuja HS. Knee arthrotomy repair with a continuous barbed suture: a biomechanical study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(5):710‐713.
3. Nonnenman H. 100326296: Time zero tissue holding ‐ Competitive claims comparisons for STRATAFIX Knotless Tissue Control Devices vs various products. 2015. Ethicon, Inc.
4. VISTASEAL™ Fibrin Sealant (Human). Full Prescribing Information. Instituto Grifols, S.A. 2019.
5. Bjelovic M, Ayguasonosa J, Kim RD, et al. A prospective, randomized, phase III study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of fibrin sealant Grifols as an adjunct to hemostasis as compared to cellulose sheets in hepatic surgery resections. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018;22:1939‐1949.
6. Nenezic D, Ayguasonosa J, Menyhei G, et al. A prospective, single‐blind, randomized, phase III study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Fibrin Sealant Grifols as an adjunct to hemostasis compared with manual compression in vascular surgery. J Vasc Surg. 2019: doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2018.12.051.
7. Lakshman S, Aqua K, Stefanovic A, et al. A prospective, single blind, randomized, phase III study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of fibrin sealant Grifols as an adjunct to hemostasis during soft tissue open surgery. J Invest Surg. 2018;DOI:10.1080/08941939.2018.1489917
VISTASEAL™ Fibrin Sealant (Human) IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
VISTASEAL™ is indicated as an adjunct to hemostasis for mild to moderate bleeding in adults undergoing surgery when control of bleeding by standard surgical techniques (such as suture, ligature, and cautery) is ineffective or impractical. VISTASEAL is effective in heparinized patients.
Do not inject directly into the circulatory system.
Do not use for the treatment of severe or brisk arterial bleeding.
Do not use in patients with history of anaphylaxis or severe systemic reactions to human blood products.
Do not use VISTASEAL for spraying unless the minimum recommended distance from the applicator tip to the bleeding site can be achieved.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Thromboembolic events may occur if VISTASEAL is administered intravascularly.
Hypersensitivity reactions can occur.
May carry a risk of transmitting infectious agents, e.g., viruses, the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) agent and, theoretically, the Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) agent.
The most common adverse reactions (reported in >1% of clinical trial subjects) were nausea and procedural pain.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.