You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Improving Surgical Outcomes
Setting Standards in Education
Advancing Thoracic Surgery
Committed to Improving Surgical Outcomes
Ethicon has the only comprehensive, evidence-backed portfolio focused on addressing key surgical challenges like bleeding and air leaks. Learn more about published studies demonstrating how the ECHELON portfolio is associated with reduced hemostasis-related complications1,10, fewer staple line air leaks2, and reliable sealing of small pulmonary vessels.11
Setting Standards in Professional Development
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers world-class programming with breakthrough digital technologies designed to help enhance surgeon performance. The J&J Institute trains thousands of surgeons annually.
Advancing Thoracic Surgery
We’re harnessing our position as a company with influence across the entire spectrum of human health to advance the treatment of lung disease. We invest in purposeful R&D to further improve surgical outcomes, make strategic acquisitions like the Monarch® Platform, and drive toward earlier intervention with the establishment of the Lung Cancer Initiative.
- Ethicon retrospective analysis of outcomes between Echelon Powered vs. Medtronic non-powered endoscopic surgical staplers among patients undergoing video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy. Review of 1,051 cases between 2012 and 2015 from the Premier Perspective® Hospital Database. Hemostasis-related complications: 4.8% vs 14.2%; p=0.010. Transfusion: 3.0% vs 9.4%; p=0.023. Total hospital cost: $23,219 vs $25,207; p=0.242.
- Staple line air leaks in porcine lungs using a physiologically-based ex-vivo lung chamber model. ECHELON FLEX™ GST System vs Endo GIA™ with Tri-Staple™ Technology. 20% vs 44%, GST 45 Blue (n=25) & Green (n=30) reloads vs Tri-Staple™ 45 Purple (n=25) & Black (n=30). Based on similar design features between ECHELON GST45 & GST60, no significant difference in performance is expected.
- Miller DL, et al. Impact of powered and tissue-specific endoscopic stapling technology on clinical and economic outcomes of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy procedures: a retrospective, observational study. Review of 1,051 cases between 2015 and 2016 from the Premier Healthcare Database (4.8% vs 14.2%; p=0.010).
- Miller DL, Roy S, Kassis ES, et al. Impact of Powered and Tissue‐ Specific Endoscopic Stapling Technology on Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Video‐ Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy Procedures: A Retrospective, Observational Study. Adv Ther. 2018 Apr 16. doi: 10.1007/s12325‐ 018‐0679‐z. Review of 3,006 cases between 2012 and 2016 from the Premier Healthcare Database (4.9 vs 5.7 days; p=0.0374).
- HARMONIC® used to seal 239 vessels in this study with 3 intraoperative bleeds (98.7% success). Liberman M, et al. Prospective, multicenter, international phase 2 trial evaluating ultrasonic energy for pulmonary artery branch sealing in video‐assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy. J of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Sep 2019. DOI 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.09.061
- Market share data compiled from Decision Resources Group (120150-190806)
- Based on a benchtop study with 5-7mm porcine carotid arteries. (Burst pressure:1878 mmHg) (057616-200427)
- Market share data compiled from Decision Resources Group.
- Compared to Harmonic ACE+7 Shears
- Premier thoracic analysis
- Liberman M, Goudie E, Morse C, et al. et al. Prospective, multicenter, international phase 2 trial evaluating ultrasonic energy for pulmonary artery branch sealing in video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019;S0022-5223(19):32065-3.
- See Results and Conclusion in Abstract