You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
ETHICON Circular Staplers
ETHICON Circular Staplers
The ETHICON™ Circular Stapler with its Controlled Tissue Compression delivered significantly less tissue damage compared to fixed compression staplers.1
Features & Benefits
Controlled Tissue Compression
Adjustable compression staplers resulted in significantly fewer cases of unacceptable tissue damage compared to fixed compression staplers.1
Less Tension on Tissue During Closure and Opening
The Ethicon Circular Stapler, with its fixed anvil design and continuously smooth anvil shaft, produced significantly less tissue displacement during closure and tissue strain during opening than the Medtronic DST Series™ EEA™ Stapler with its tilting anvil and stepped anvil shank.5
More Device Feedback When Firing
With its breakaway washer, the Ethicon Circular Stapler created more audible and tactile feedback than the Medtronic DST Series EEA.6
1. Benchtop testing of force to fire of Ethicon 25mm devices, comparing means of 99.21 lbf for CDH25B (n=32) to 123.06 lbf for CDH25A (n=32), p<0.001.
2. Benchtop testing measuring proportion of failed devices at onset leak pressure of 28 mmHg of 18/31 for the Ethicon Circular Stapler (CDH29B) compared to 27/32 for the PROXIMATE Curved Intraluminal Stapler (CDH29A) (p=0.02).
3. Ratings of hemostasis at the staple line on a 5-point Likert scale based on gross observation in an animate porcine model. Mean rating of firings on gastric tissue for the updated Ethicon manual circular stapler was 2.00 (CDH21B, CDH25B, CDH29B, CDH33B, ECS21B, ECS25B, ECS29B, ECS33B) and for the predicate Ethicon manual circular stapler was 3.06 (CDH21A, CDH25A, CDH29A, CDH33A, ECS21A, ECS25A, ECS29A, ECS33A); n=32, p=0.013.
4. Benchtop testing of force to fire of Ethicon 25mm devices, comparing means of 99.21 lbf for CDH25B (n=32) to 123.06 lbf for CDH25A (n=32), p<0.001.
5. Benchtop testing on porcine colon, comparing means of 1.214mm for Ethicon CDH29B (n=23) to 10.240mm for Medtronic EEA28 (n=23), p<0.001 for tissue displacement and comparing means of 0.022 for Ethicon CDH29B (n=23) to 0.081 for Medtronic EEA28 (n=23), p=0.0016 for tissue strain.
6. Benchtop testing comparing average vibration measured as mean vectorial acceleration during firing. ECS29B 11762mm/s2 vs EEA 3707mm/s2, (p<0.001, 95% CI for difference = 6788mm/s2, 9322 mm/s2). Benchtop testing comparing mean peak sound intensity during firing. ECS29B 100.46dB (linear) vs EEA 96.32dB (linear), (p=0.003, 95% CI for difference = 1.57, 6.71).
© Ethicon US, LLC. 2019.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.
This site is published by Ethicon US, LLC, which is solely responsible for its contents, and is intended for U.S. audiences only.
This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 20, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.