You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Universal Small Fragment System
The Universal Small Fragment System is a streamlined system of instruments, coupled with standard and anatomic implants to support small fragment procedures. The system consists of two components: 1) A core set of instruments, screws, and standard implants; and 2) anatomic implant trays for the supported small fragment anatomy. In addition, the core set can support any 2.7 mm/3.5 mm DePuy Synthes non-locking, LCP® and VA LCP® Plating Technologies.
Compared to existing DePuy Synthes systems for small fragment trauma, the signature benefits of the Universal Small Fragment System include:
- Improved instrument and system ease of use by operating room teams and hospital staff4-6
- Improved efficiency through reduction in instruments and trays needed for small fragment procedures4-6
- Reduction in hospital costs associated with maintaining equipment2,3
Inventory Control Forms
Features & Benefits
Ease of Use
Universal Small Fragment, USF, streamlines instruments and implants into a compact, modular system that can be used for all Small Fragment cases.
Surgeons assessing the system believe it will improve consistency and repeatability of operating room support across all small bone trauma9
Retrieving fewer sets may mean a faster setup of operating room for trauma4-6
Staff proficient in core set may become faster using the same system across all small fragment procedures7,8
In-tray washing may eliminate need to reassemble trays after washing*
USF reduces the number of trays brought into the operating room by 50%2,3 and reduces the footprint needed for washing that may deliver demonstrable savings to the hospital.2,3
Inventory Control Forms
SS Elbow Implant Set
SS LCP Distal Fibula Implant Set
SS LCP Distal Tibia Implant Set
SS LCP Proximal Tibia Implant Set
SS Shoulder Clavicle Implant Set
SS Standard Plates Set
SS VA LCP Distal Fibula Implant Set
SS VA LCP Distal Tibia Implant Set
SS VA LCP Proximal Tibia Implant Set
Ti Elbow Implant Set
Ti LCP Distal Fibula Implant Set
Ti LCP Distal Tibia Implant Set
Ti LCP Proximal Tibia Implant Set
Ti Shoulder Clavicle Implant Set
Ti Standard Plates Set
1. Use of “fewer sets” and “with less” used throughout document uses a comparison of existing comparable DePuy Synthes systems as benchmark.
2. Calculation takes into account DePuy Synthes systems commonly used for each small bone trauma procedure, employs a weighted average of 2.25 sets per procedure, cost to wash a tray is $47.725 and approximately 5 trays are washed per set on average when accounting for any wire bins that are also holding instruments.
3. DePuy Synthes Internal Sales Data 2018..
4. Ford, S. “Nurses waste ‘an hour a shift’ finding equipment,” Nursing Times. 105(5):1, 2009 February.
5. Richardson, D et al., “Using Lean Methodology to Decrease Wasted RN Time in Seeking Supplies in Emergency Departments, “ Journal of Nursing Administration. 44(11):606-611, November 2014.
6. Delatore P, Bourque M, Taylor J, Ferko N. “The value of SKU reduction and standardization initiatives within a hospital system.” Value in Health -ISPOR 21st Annual International Meeting. 2016. PHP206.
7. Adrianzen, D.2014. “Implementing Lean Process Improvement in the Sterile Processing Department at the Academic Medical Center.” Worcester,MA: Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
8. Chobin, N. “The Real Costs of Surgical Instrument Training in Sterile Processing Revisited,” AORN J. 2010 Aug;92(2):185-93.
9. Statement based on responses from surgeons after using system final design in cadaveric lab setting from June through July2018.
10. Menzie A, Vanderkarr M, Badin M, Bhattacharyya S. Impact of distal radius sterile kit on provider budget in the USA. ISPOR 2018 23rd Annual International Meeting. A36.
† Calculation takes into account DePuy Synthes systems commonly used for each small bone trauma procedure, employs a weightedaverage of 2.25 sets per procedure, cost towash a tray is $47.7210and approximately 5 trays are washed per seton average when accounting for any wire bins that are also holding instruments.
*Assumes following existing DePuy Synthes IFU
The Universal Small Fragment System assists the surgeon in the fixation of implants for small fragment fractures where 2.7 mm/3.5 mm non-locking, LCP, and VA LCP Plating Technology is utilized. It is not intended for use in craniomaxillofacial and spine. For specific indications or surgical technique of specific 2.7 mm/3.5 mm Plating Technology, refer to the desired anatomic plate surgical technique guide.
© DePuy Synthes 2022. All Rights Reserved. This site is published by the DePuy Synthes Companies, which are solely responsible for its content. This site is governed solely by applicable U.S. laws and governmental regulations. This site is for visitors from the United States. The third party trademarks used herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.