You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Person by Person.
Ethicon has been a powerful catalyst for positive change for over a century – and we’re not stopping now. Today, surgeons can create a clear road map for surgery using 3D pre-operative planning.
Together, We Can Reduce Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Risk
One action can make a difference in reducing surgical site infection risk. Join the movement and watch these inspiring videos.
ENSEAL® X1 Tissue Sealer was completely redesigned to be easy to use while enabling more efficiency and stronger sealing than Ligasure™ Maryland.1-3
ENSEAL® Tissue Sealers deliver efficient and secure sealing to help surgeons drive the best possible patient outcomes.2,4
Learn how you can partner with Ethicon to build a stronger OR safety environment for staff and patients.
Six global health authorities now recommend the use of triclosan-coated sutures for the prevention of SSI.5-9*†
† Triclosan has in vitro activity that inhibits bacterial colonization of the suture. For illustration purposes only. Variance in testing results does not impact bacterial colonization.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years, from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our surgical technologies and solutions include sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats along with interventional ablation, robotic and digital solutions.
We are Looking for Change Agents
Let’s change the trajectory of human health. Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies Can Change Everything. Including YOU.
News & Events
Ethicon’s MONARCH® Endoscopic Robotic Platform Receives FDA 510(k) Clearance for Urology Procedures
Ethicon Launches Enseal X1 Straight Jaw Tissue Sealer for Stronger Sealing, Greater Efficiency and Easy Access to Targeted Tissue in Multiple Surgical Procedures
Ethicon’s Echelon Circular Powered Stapler Associated With Major Reduction in Serious Complications Following Colorectal Surgery
Ethicon Surgical Innovations Lab Kicks Off U.S. Mobile Tour With Visits to Hospitals Nationwide
* CDC, WHO, ACS/SIS, NICE, and KRINKO guidelines on reducing the risk of surgical site infections are general to triclosan-coated sutures and are not specific to any one brand.
1. Compared to previous generations of Enseal devices (099986-210202).
2. ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer can capture, seal and transect a longer length of tissue per single activation due to a 16% (or 3.4mm) longer jaw (p < 0.001) and a 19% (or 3.5mm) longer cut length (p < 0.001) compared to LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937). (145163-200630).
3. In benchtop testing on porcine arteries, vessels sealed with ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw had a 22% higher average burst pressure than vessels sealed with LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937), (1055mmHg vs. 862mmHg, p < 0.001). (145079-200629).
4. 112 of 112 vessels sealed successfully on first pass in an acute porcine model. All seals maintained hemostasis during blood pressure challenge. During blood pressure challenge, systolic blood pressure was increased to at least 200 mmHg for a minimum of 10 minutes to simulate a hypertensive crisis. (095317-200519)
5. Berríos‐Torres SI, Umscheid CA, Bratzler DW, et al. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 2017. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(8):784‐791.
6. WHO Global Guidelines for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016.
7. Ban KA, Minei JP, Laronga C, et al. American College of Surgeons and Surgical Infection Society: Surgical Site Infection Guidelines, 2016 Update. J Am Coll Surg. 2016;224(1):59‐74.
8. NICE Guideline Updates Team (UK). Surgical site infection: prevention and treatment. NICE website. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng125/chapter/Recommendations#closuremethods. Accessed April 3, 2020.
9. 5. Prevention of postoperative wound infections. Recommendation of the Committee for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention (KRINKO) at the Robert Koch Institute. Bundesgesundheitsbl. 2018;61(4):448‐473.
10. Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score‐ Matched Study. [ECHELON CIRCULAR 1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8% (14/119), p=0.022]. (153162-200916)