You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
STRATAFIX™ Knotless Tissue Control Devices
STRATAFIX™ is a portfolio of barbed sutures that deliver more efficiency, more strength,1 and more consistency than traditional suture.11-13 Use the STRATAFIX™ Selection Guide to help you choose the right STRATAFIX™ for you.
Features & Benefits
STRATAFIX™ barbed sutures can close wounds substantially faster than using an interrupted technique.14 In Total Hip Arthroplasty, STRATAFIX™ was associated with significantly less time spent in the OR when compared to traditional sutures.2,15
STRATAFIX™ Symmetric Devices provide superior tissue-holding strength compared to interrupted technique with Coated VICRYL® (polyglactin 910) Suture, continuous technique with PDS®5 (polydioxanone) Suture, and V-Loc™ 180 Wound Closure Device.3,4,13
With significantly more points of fixation than traditional sutures, STRATAFIX™ makes it easier to manage tension on every pass; appropriate tension leads to better wound healing, a prerequisite for good cosmesis.5,16,17
¶In a meta-analysis of 21 Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs), 6462 patients, 95% CI: (14, 40%), P<0.001.
#All triclosan-coated sutures in these RCTs were Ethicon Plus Antibacterial Sutures (MONOCRYL® Plus Antibacterial [poliglecaprone 25] Suture, Coated VICRYL® Plus Antibacterial [polyglactin 910] Suture, and PDS® Plus Antibacterial [polydioxanone] Suture).
**Meta-analysis only included traditional (nonbarbed) sutures.
- Refers to STRATAFIX™ Symmetric PDS™ Plus Knotless Tissue Control Device only.
- Based on retrospective analysis of 5,958 cases from the Premier Perspective® Hospital Database.
- In an ex vivo model.
- Superior to VICRYL and PDS in fascia. Superior to V-Loc in subcutaneous tissue.
- Conclusions of suture tension and outcomes based on animal model.
- In vivo.
- In vitro.
- de Jonge SW, Atema JJ, Solomkin JS, Boermeester MA. Meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of triclosan-coated sutures for the prevention of surgical-site infection. Br J Surg. 2017;104(2):e118-e133. doi:10.1002/bjs.10445.
- Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA), Methicillin-resistant S. epidermidis (MRSE), Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Refers only to STRATAFIX™ Symmetric PDS™ Plus, STRATAFIX™ Spiral PDS™ Plus and STRATAFIX™ Spiral MONOCRYL™ Plus.
- Moran ME, Marsh C, Perrotti M. Bidirectional-barbed sutured knotless running anastomosis v classic Van Velthoven suturing in a model system. J Endourol. 2007;21(10):1175-1178.
- Vakil JJ, O'Reilly MP, Sutter EG, Mears SC, Belkoff SM, Khanuja HS. Knee arthrotomy repair with a continuous barbed suture: a biomechanical study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(5):710-713.
- Nawrocki J. Time zero tissue holding - competitive claims comparisons for STRATAFIX Knotless Tissue Control Devices vs various products. 100326296. May 20, 2015. Ethicon, Inc.
- Greenberg J, Goldman R. Barbed suture: a review of the technology and clinical uses in obstetrics and gynecology. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2013;6(3-4):107-115.
- Sutton N, Schmitz ND, Johnston SS. Comparing outcomes between barbed and conventional sutures in patients undergoing knee or hip arthroplasty. J Comp Eff Res. 2018;7(10):975-987. doi:10.2217/cer-2018-0047.
- Burgess LP, Morin GV, Rand M, Vossoughi J, Hollinger JO. Wound healing. Relationship of wound closing tension to scar width in rats. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1990;116(7):798-802.
- Höer J, Klinge U, Schachtrupp A, Töns C, Schumpelick V. Influence of suture technique on laparotomy wound healing: an experimental study in the rat. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2001;386(3):218-223.
- Bhende S, Burkley D, Nawrocki J. In vivo and in vitro antibacterial efficacy of absorbable barbed polydioxanone monofilament tissue control device with triclosan. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2018;19(4):430-437.
© Ethicon US, LLC. 2019.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.
This site is published by Ethicon US, LLC, which is solely responsible for its contents, and is intended for U.S. audiences only.
This site is intended for Healthcare Professionals. If you are a patient, it is important that you discuss information about the benefits and risks of products with your doctor.
Last updated February 20, 2019. The third-party trademarks used herein are trademarks of their respective owners. Data and usage fees may apply. See your carrier for more information.