This website is not owned by Johnson & Johnson (New Zealand) Ltd, and we do not review or control the content of this website. Products discussed on this website may not be approved for use or may be approved for different indications in your country. Before using any medical device, review all relevant Instructions for Use, Package Inserts or Summary of Product Characteristics. We do not endorse the use or promotion of unapproved products or indications. Any demonstrations of approved medical devices should be considered as information only and are not a surgical training guide.
Tackling Key Disease States
Our commitment to colorectal surgery focuses on reducing the risk of complications and associated costs. By combining innovation with education and research, we strive to have more predictability in outcomes.
Committed to shaping the future of surgery in the fight against obesity and metabolic diseases and helping to elevate the standard of care through research and evidence, best-in-class education and training, innovative products and expanding patient access to care.
Ethicon is committed to working with the thoracic community to shape the future of thoracic surgery. By improving the understanding of key complications, investing in innovation and education we hope to work towards the very best patient outcomes.
Ethicon: We’re here. We’re ready. And we’re in this together.
COVID-19 has changed a lot of things. The way we live. The way we work. The way we care for patients. One thing that hasn’t changed is Ethicon’s unwavering commitment to support nurses, doctors and everyone who works for and with hospitals.
Ethicon Product Platforms
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years, from creating the first sutures, to revolutionising surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our surgical technologies and solutions include sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and haemostats along with interventional ablation, robotics and digital solutions.
ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler
The ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler demonstrated an 85% reduction in anastomotic leak rates compared to manual circular staplers (1.7% vs. 11.8%, p=0.02).1α
The ECHELON CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter
The ECHELON CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter with 3D stapling technology is designed to evenly distribute compression throughout the staple line, potentially limiting leak pathways.2β, 3β
ECHELON™+Stapler with GST Reloads
The ECHELON™+Stapler with GST Reloads advances staple line security to deliver fewer leakage pathways at the staple line, even in challenging conditions.4π, 5π
SURGICEL® Powder Absorbable Haemostat
Built to stop continuous, broad-surface oozing*— fast**. ***6-9
ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw
ENSEAL® X1 Curved Jaw can capture more tissue per bite compared to LigaSure™ Maryland.10Δ,11Δ
STRATAFIX™ Knotless Tissue Control Devices
STRATAFIX™ Knotless Tissue Control Devices provide more wound-holding security than interrupted suturing, without knot-related complications.12#
Ethicon Customer Support
Our experienced medical professionals understand your unique challenges and make it easy for you to get the information you need. From technical and product assistance to MRI and allergy information and more—just contact us.
α Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score-Matched Study. [ECHELON CIRCULAR 1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8% (14/119),p=0.022].
β Finite element-based computational simulations (FEA) on simulated porcine tissue measuring tissue compression after approximation and staple formation, comparing average standard deviation of 5.481 for 2D staples to 5.109 for 3D staples (n=37, p<0.05).
π Advancing staple line security with fewer leakage pathways and less malformed staples. Fewer leakage pathways: benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤ 30mmHg (26mmHG average pressure experienced during typical leak test), comparing Ethicon ECHELON+ Stapler PSEE60A with GST Reloads GST60B to Medtronic Signia™ and Endo GIA™ Staplers with Tri-Staple™ Reloads EGIA60AMT. Cumulative number of leaked tests (0/30), (7/30) & (9/30) respectively, n=30, p < 0.05. Fewer malformed staples: benchtop testing in 3.3mm and 4.0mm porcine tissue comparing malformed staples between ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (GST60B, GST60T) to Medtronic Signia™ Stapler with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT) and Endo GIA™ with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT). Percentage malformed results: 1.14% vs 4.28%, p < 0.05.
* Continuous oozing defined as bleeding that will not stop with compression/simple packing.
** TTH study of surgicel powder show average time to haemostasis of 30 seconds.
*** is ready to use out of the package with no preparation required.
Δ Based on metrology data, ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer has a 16% (or 3.4mm) longer jaw than LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937) (p < 0.001) and ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer has a 9% (or 1.15mm) wider jaw aperture than LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937) (p < 0.001).
# In preclinical studies ex vivo model.
- Pla-Martí V, Martín-Arévalo J, Moro-Valdezate D, et al. Impact of the novel powered circular stapler on risk of anastomotic leakage in colorectal anastomosis: a propensity score-matched study. Tech Coloproctol. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10151-020-02338-y.
- Ethicon, 500561940A.7 Silhouette Tissue Compression Simulation [Claims – EU], Oct 2020.
- Ethicon, 500632160A Design Intent for Echelon Contour Curved Cutter, Jan 2021, Data on file.
- Ethicon, PRC096436A Ex-Vivo Comparison of Staple Line Leak Pressure: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs EndoGIA and Signia with Tri-Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file.
- Ethicon, PRC096858A Evaluation of Malformed Staples in Thick Tissue for Claims: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs Endo GIA and Signia with Tri-Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file.
- Ethicon, 15-0061, SURGICEL™ Powder versus SURGICEL™ Original. Final Report, September 2015, Data on File.
- Ethicon, 08032016, SURGICEL™ Powder versus Competitive Powdered Hemostats. Final Report, PSE Accession No. 16-0006, Project No.16438, March 2016, Data on File.
- SURGICEL™ Powder Absorbable Hemostat, Instructions for Use.
- Ethicon, K-5678 SURGICEL™ Endoscopic Applicator Summative Usability Design Validation Surgeon and Nurse Study, December 2016, Data on File.
- Ethicon, Project Floyd: Claims Metrology Report, June 2018, PRC079564B.
- Ethicon, Floyd Relaunch Claims Metrology, June 2020, PRC095763A.
- Ethicon, AST-2012-0331. Tissue gapping under tension of porcine cadaveric skin incisions closed with Stratafix Spiral in comparison to Monocryl in both interrupted and continuous stitching patterns. Aug 2012. Data on File.