This website is not owned by Johnson & Johnson Medical Pty. Ltd, and we do not review or control the content of this website. Products discussed on this website may not be approved for use or may be approved for different indications in your country. Before using any medical device, review all relevant Instructions for Use, Package Inserts or Summary of Product Characteristics. We do not endorse the use or promotion of unapproved products or indications. Any demonstrations of approved medical devices should be considered as information only and are not a surgical training guide.
Even before you leave the hospital, you’ll start your physiotherapy. The goal is to improve your muscle strength, increase the movement in your knee joint, protect your new knee joint and return to the activities you did before surgery through regular exercise and walking.
Whilst Still in Hospital, Your Physiotherapy will involve:
- Exercising to reduce your risk of complications
- Exercising to get your new knee joint moving well
- Exercising to strengthen your muscles
- Teaching you the easiest and safest ways to move and walk with walking aids
- Showing you how to get in and out of bed and up and down stairs
- Helping you feel confident about being at home
After Going Home, your Physiotherapy will involve:
- Maximising the movement of your new knee joint
- Improving muscle strength
- Getting you to walk normally
- Activity to improve your balance
- Upgrading your home exercise program
- Improving your general fitness
- Giving ongoing education and advice
- Helping you to meet your goals and return to your favourite activities
The first few months after surgery involve significant commitment, motivation and hard work on your part to get your knee joint and muscles working properly. In general, the more actively you participate, the quicker your recovery will be.
This information is intended for residents of Australia only.
The information on this site is for educational purposes only and is not medical advice. Always talk to your doctor before you make decisions about your health.
© 2021 Johnson & Johnson Medical Pty Ltd. This site is published by Johnson & Johnson Medical Pty Ltd which is solely responsible for its contents. DePuy Synthes is a business unit of Johnson & Johnson Medical Pty Ltd. 1-5 Khartoum Road, North Ryde, NSW 2113, ABN 85 000 160 403.