You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG
BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG
BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG is the only polyurethane foam disk proven to reduce local infections, catheter-related blood stream infections (CRBSI), and skin colonization of microorganisms commonly related to CRBSI, in patients with central venous or arterial catheters.1,2
Features & Benefits
Protect All Lines.
It is estimated that over 54,000 people get a catheter-related bloodstream infection (CRBSI) every single year in the UK.3
Catheter-related bloodstream infections have been known to increase the length of hospital stays by as many as 22 days.4 BIOPATCH™ is the only IV dressing with CHG proven in multiple, randomized controlled trials to reduce the incidence of catheter-related bloodstream infections (CRBSIs).5*
BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG is the only dressing that meets all the following criteria:
- Intended to reduce local infections, catheter related bloodstream infections (CRBSI), and skin colonization of microorganisms commonly related to CRBSI, in patients with central venous or arterial catheters. 2,6
- Is constructed from polyurethane foam allowing quick absorption of fluid decreasing the likelihood of skin maceration. 2,6
- Is designed to deliver chlorhexidine gluconate a full 3600 around the catheter insertion site providing optimized coverage and protection. 2,6
- BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG absorbs up to 8 times its own weight in fluid.2
Prepping the Skin Is Not Enough
BIOPATCH™ is the only IV dressing with CHG proven in multiple, randomized controlled trials to reduce the incidence of catheter-related bloodstream infections (CRBSIs). 5* Bacterial repopulation of skin at the entry site occurs within 18 hours after sterilization of the surface and insertion of the device, regardless of the type of sterile dressing covering the area.7,8
Robust Clinical Evidence
BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG has extensive clinical evidence, including:
- 1 meta-analysis
- 15 randomized controlled trials (RCTs)
- 6 comparative cohorts
- 19 single-arm case series
- 6 conference proceedings
- 2 case reports 9
*It was an open label study where the control was standard of care - routine skin antisepsis of 10% povidone-iondine alone followed by the application of a transparent dressing.
1. Timsit J.F., et al. Chlorhexidine‐ Impregnated Sponges and Less Frequent Dressing Changes for Prevention of Catheter‐Related Infections in Critically Ill Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 2009; 301:1231‐1241.
2. BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG Instructions for Use.
3. NHS Commissioning Board, Catalogue of Potential Innovations. Available at http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2013-0664/150063_-_Innovation_health_wealth.pdf. Accessed April 18 2021.
4. Dimick J, Pelz R, Consunji R, Swoboda S, Hendrix C, Lipsett P. Increase Resource Use Associated With Catheter_
Related Bloodstream Infection in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. Arch Surg. 2001;136;229_234
5. Maki 2000 - The Efficacy of a Chlorhexidine-implregnated Sponge (BOIPATCH) for the Prevention of Intravascular Catheter-Related Infection.
6. Ethicon, 01102010, Comparison between BIOPATCH™ Protective Disk with CHG and Tegaderm™ CHG Absorption‐ Part II: Rate of absorption of different fluids, Oct 2010, Data on File.
7. Hendley JO, Ashe KM. Effect of Topical Antimicrobial Treatment on Aerobic Bacteria in the Stratum Corneum of Human Skin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991;35(4):627‐631.
8. Ryder M. Evidence‐based practice in the management of vascular access devices for home parenteral nutrition therapy. 2016; 30; S86.
9. Ethicon, 18092019, Memorandum Biopatch Level of Evidence, Sept 2019, Data on File.
For complete indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions, please reference full package insert.
© Johnson & Johnson Medical Limited 2021. All Rights Reserved.
Please refer always to the Instructions for Use / Package Insert that come with the device for the most current and complete instructions.