You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Our commitment to Colorectal surgery focuses on reducing the risk of complications and associated costs. By combining innovation with education and research, we strive to have more predictability in outcomes.
Ethicon Colorectal Solutions
We continuously invest in innovation to address the key challenges that impact colorectal case outcomes. Our innovative products are designed to support surgeons in colorectal procedures.
Reducing Anastomotic Leaks
Anastomotic leaks still occur in up to 8.6% of cases.1* We are partnering with surgeons on multiple fronts to help reduce this devastating surgical complication.
Colorectal Professional Education Courses
The Johnson & Johnson Institute offers comprehensive Colorectal specialty learning opportunities on the safe and efficacious usage of Ethicon devices, surgical techniques and measures to reduce complications and improve patient outcomes. These educational experiences include in-person courses, digital learning and hands-on practice.
Partnering to Optimize Colorectal Cancer Screening
JJMDC has entered into a partnership with the patient association Digestive Cancers Europe (DiCE) aimed at understanding what the main barriers are, optimizing colorectal cancer screening in selected countries in Europe, and identifying how the barriers can be removed, by developing an action plan for disseminating policy solutions.
Featured Colorectal Products
ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler
The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduces leaks by 61% at the staple line without compromising perfusion compared to the Covidien (Medtronic) manual DST Series EEA Stapler.2,3**
The ECHELON™+Stapler with GST Reloads advances staple line security to deliver fewer leakage pathways at the staple line, even in challenging conditions.4,5#
CONTOUR Curved Cutter Stapler
The Echelon CONTOUR™ Curved Cutter Stapler features one‐handed firing and closure and
Ethicon strives to develop the next generation of integrated treatment solutions in colorectal care to, ultimately, give patients back their tomorrows.
Welcome to the ColorectalLIVE Series where you can experience an intimate, one-to-one conversation with the world leaders in their field.
Education and Training
Aiming to provide a comprehensive suite of bariatric professional education programs on current and emerging procedures to enhance the patient experience and coordinated patient care models
* Including detected abdominal fluid collection.
** Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices.
# Advancing staple line security with fewer leakage pathways and less malformed staples. Fewer leakage pathways: benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤ 30mmHg (26mmHG average pressure experienced during typical leak test), comparing Ethicon ECHELON+ Stapler PSEE60A with GST Reloads GST60B to Medtronic Signia™ and Endo GIA™ Staplers with Tri‐Staple™ Reloads EGIA60AMT. Cumulative number of leaked tests (0/30), (7/30) & (9/30) respectively, n=30, p < 0.05. Fewer malformed staples: benchtop testing in 3.3mm and 4.0mm porcine tissue comparing malformed staples between ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (GST60B,GST60T) to Medtronic Signia™ Stapler with Tri‐Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT) and Endo GIA™ with Tri‐Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT). Percentage malformed results: 1.14% vs 4.28%, p < 0.05.
1. 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) Collaborating Group. The 2017 European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP) international snapshot audit of left colon, sigmoid and rectal resections - Executive Summary. Colorectal Dis. 2018;20 [Suppl 6]:13-14.
2. Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File.
3. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series EEA Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-190513 EMEA).
4. Ethicon, PRC096436A Ex‐Vivo Comparison of Staple Line Leak Pressure: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs EndoGIA and Signia with Tri‐Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file.
5. Ethicon, PRC096858A Evaluation of Malformed Staples in Thick Tissue for Claims: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs Endo GIA and Signia with Tri‐Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file.
6. Ethicon, SCN075253B Echelon CONTOUR Curved Cutter Design Claims Memorandum Approvals, Sep 2020, Data on file.