You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Committed to shaping the future of surgery in the fight against obesity and metabolic diseases and helping to elevate the standard of care through research and evidence, best-in-class education and training, innovative products and expanding patient access to care. Together, we're advancing surgical care, enabling patients to live longer, more fulfilling lives.
Your Choice of Stapler Matters
In the first real-world matched comparison between ECHELON FLEX GST System and Medtronic’s Signia Stapling System with Tri-Staple reloads, the use of the ECHELON FLEX Powered Staplers with GST reloads was associated with a significant reduction in the rate of hemostasis-related complications in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.1*
Care4Today Education is a flexible, digital solution designed to support patients during their treatment journey. The solution offers your patients a wide variety of educational content in the form of Brochures, videos, FAQs, etc. With limited data sharing and a simple implementation process, Care4Today Education can be installed in just 2 weeks!
Care4Today Monitor is a remote monitoring digital solution which allows visibility of patient’s pre-surgery readiness, post-surgery recovery and progress at home, bridging the gap between hospital and home. It’s a mobile app which asks quick questions that patients answer on their smartphone. HCPs can view the responses on the web-based dashboard.
Featured Bariatric Products
ECHELON + Stapler with GST reloads
The ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads advances staple line security to deliver fewer leakage pathways at the staple line, even in challenging conditions.2‡
HARMONIC 1100 Shears
Ultrasonic leader proven to minimize the impact on tissue3§
Fast transection, precise dissection and Improved temperature control4¶
ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw
ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw offers more efficiency and has demonstrated stronger sealing than LigaSure Maryland5β
Research & Evidence
Driving the body of evidence that strives to demonstrate that surgery is an effective and durable treatment for severe obesity.
Education and Training
Aiming to provide a comprehensive suite of bariatric professional education programs on current and emerging procedures to enhance the patient experience and coordinated patient care models
Access and Reimbursement
Helping to improve access to care for people suffering with obesity across EMEA
Innovation based on the evolving needs of surgeons and providers: aiming to provide a comprehensive portfolio of market leading products and resources for the best clinical and economic outcomes
* Based on retrospective analysis of hemostasis-related complication outcomes from 982 laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy cases between March 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018 from US Premier Healthcare Database (0.61% versus 2.24%, p=0.0012 ).
† Based on retrospective analysis of median total hospital cost outcomes from 982 laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy cases between March 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018 from US Premier Healthcare Database (Ethicon ECHELON FLEX™ Powered Staplers with GST reloads vs Medtronic Stapling System with Tri-Staple™ reloads, $9,771 vs. $10,487, p<0.001). The difference was not significant for mean total hospital costs
‡ Advancing staple line security with fewer leakage pathways and less malformed staples. Fewer leakage pathways: benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤ 30mmHg (26mmHG average pressure experienced during typical leak test), comparing Ethicon ECHELON+ Stapler PSEE60A with GST Reloads GST60B to Medtronic Signia™ and Endo GIA™ Staplers with Tri-Staple™ Reloads EGIA60AMT. Cumulative number of leaked tests (0/30), (7/30) & (9/30) respectively, n=30, p < 0.05. Fewer malformed staples: benchtop testing in 3.3mm and 4.0mm porcine tissue comparing malformed staples between ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (GST60B, GST60T) to Medtronic Signia™ Stapler with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT) and Endo GIA™ with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT). Percentage malformed results: 1.14% vs 4.28%, p < 0.05
§ As per designed and internal market share data.
¶ Compared to HARMONIC™ ACE+7 Shears as demonstrated in engineering and pre-clinical studies
β ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw has a longer jaw, longer cut length and wider jaw aperture compared to LigaSure Maryland (LF1937) (p < 0.001). In benchtop testing on porcine arteries, vessels sealed with ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw had a 22% higher average burst pressure than vessels sealed with LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937), (1055mmHg vs. 862mmHg, p < 0.001).
1. Rawlins L, Johnson BH, Johnston SS, et al. Comparative Effectiveness Assessment of Two Powered Surgical Stapling Platforms in Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Retrospective Matched Study. Med Devices (Auckl). 2020;13:195-204.
2. Ethicon, PRC096436A Ex-Vivo Comparison of Staple Line Leak Pressure: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs Endo GIA and Signia with Tri-Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file. Ethicon, PRC096858A Evaluation of Malformed Staples in Thick Tissue for Claims: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs Endo GIA and Signia with TriStaple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file (159504-201117 EMEA)
3. Ethicon, 01022019, Energy Devices Volume of Publications February 2019 - Literature Search Results, Feb 2019, Data on File. Ethicon, 01022019, AE Publications, Feb 2019, Data on File. Ethicon, 01022019, AE Publications Summary, Feb 2019, Data on File. Ethicon, 01122020, U.S. Market & Share Insights Report, Dec 2020, Data on File. As Per Instructions For Use. Ethicon, PRC042296A, Triton (FCS17) Thermal Spread in Vessels, Feb 2010, Data on File. Ethicon, SCN008558A Triton (FCS17) Test Procedure: Thermal Spread on Vessels Following In Vivo Transection, April 2009, Data on File. Ethicon, SCN049171A, Several HARMONIC FOCUS Shears, 9 cm Length (FCS9) approved claims shall also apply to HARMONIC FOCUS + Adaptive Tissue Technology, 9 cm Length (HAR9F) based on similarity of design memo, Feb 2017, Data on File. Ethicon, 28082019, GBI Info - Harmonic Undisputed Claim memo, Aug 2019, Data on File. Ethicon, 500660262B, HARMONIC Adaptive Tissue Technology memo, March 2021, Data on File (171107-210319 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, PRC74432B Buccaneer Energy Button Vessel Claims, April 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PRC094080B Scarlet DV- Vessel Transection Speed (and Burst Pressure), March 2020, Data on File. Ethicon, SCN075090A Scarlet Witch Physical Equivalence memo, April 2020, Data on File. Ethicon, PRC095370C Project Scarlet: Blade Temperature, May 2020, Data on File. Project Buccaneer Ethicon, PSP004888A, HARMONIC™ HD 1000i Open Shears (HARHD20) and HARMONIC™ HD, 1000i Laparoscopic Shears (HARHD36): Design Verification Acute Study in the Pig, March 2016, Data on File (176074-210823 EMEA)
5. Ethicon, PRC079564B Project Floyd: Claims Metrology Report, June 2018, Data on File. Ethicon, PRC095763A Floyd Relaunch Claims Metrology, June 2020, Data on File. Ethicon, PRC094697A Floyd Relaunch Claims Ex-Vivo Sealing, June 2020, Data on File (145171-200630 EMEA)
6. Moran ME, Marsh C, Perrotti M. Bidirectional-barbed sutured knotless running anastomosis v classic Van Velthoven suturing in a model system. J Endourol. 2007;21(10):1175-1178.
7. Vakil JJ, O'Reilly MP, Sutter EG, Mears SC, Belkoff SM, Khanuja HS. Knee arthrotomy repair with a continuous barbed suture: a biomechanical study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26(5):710-713.
8. Eickmann T, Quane E. Total knee arthroplasty closure with barbed sutures. J Knee Surg. 2010;23(3):163-167.
9. Einarsson JI, Chavan NR, Suzuki Y, Jonsdottir G, Vellinga TT, Greenberg JA. Use of bidirectional barbed suture in laparoscopic myomectomy: evaluation of perioperative outcomes, safety, and efficacy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011;18(1):92-95.
10. Levine BR, Ting N, Della Valle CJ. Use of a barbed suture in the closure of hip and knee arthroplasty wounds. Orthopedics. 2011;34(9):e473-e475. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20110714-35.
11. Ethicon, 100326296: Time Zero Tissue Holding - Competitive Claims Comparisons for STRATAFIX Knotless Tissue Control Devices vs Various Products. May 2015. Data on File. Ethicon, AST-2012-0331. Tissue gapping under tension of porcine cadaveric skin incisions closed with Stratafix Spiral in comparison to Monocryl in both interrupted and continuous stitching patterns. Aug 2012. Data on File. Ethicon, 19022020 Technical Memo - Explanation on the Science Behind the Anchors on Knotless Tissue Control Devices, February 2020. Data on File (119393-201015 EMEA)