You are about to leave jnjmedtech.com. By clicking to continue, you will be taken to a web site governed by their own Legal and Privacy Policies.
Our commitment to Colorectal surgery focuses on reducing the risk of complications and associated costs. By combining innovation with education and research, we strive to have more predictability in outcomes.
Ethicon Colorectal Solutions
We continuously invest in innovation to address the key challenges that impact colorectal case outcomes. Our innovative products are designed to support surgeons in colorectal procedures.
Ethicon strives to develop the next generation of integrated treatment solutions in colorectal care to, ultimately, give patients back their tomorrows.
With the Colorectal Next Program, we aim to address anastomotic leaks as multi-factorial complications.
Educating, coaching, development, and advocacy for those on the frontlines of health-focused on advancing the appropriate use of products and improving patient outcomes.
Helping to Improve Patient Care Through Implementation of Enhanced Recovery*
We co-created and implemented the Colorectal Care program with MMC, one of the largest healthcare providers in The Netherlands. Monthly, cross-functional training in peri-operative care was used to reinforce the importance of all aspects of the treatment pathway and fully integrate key stakeholders working across different departments. View the case study below to learn about the outcomes that our initiative produced
ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler
Reduced leaks at the staple line without compromising perfusion.1† The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler demonstrated an 85% reduction in anastomotic leaks compared with manual circular staplers (1.7% vs. 11.8%, p=0.02).2‡
ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads
The ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads demonstrated better staple formation3§ and 4x less slippage during firing compared to Medtronic Staplers with Tri-Staple Reloads.4¶
HARMONIC HD 1000i Shears
More tapered jaw can enable precise access to tissue planes.5β
ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw
More efficient. ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw can enable more efficiency through capturing more tissue per bite compared to LigaSure Maryland.6€
ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter
The ECHELON CONTOUR Curved Cutter. Designed to minimize leak pathways.7\\
Digital Health Technology Consultants & Innovations
Ethicon Customer Support
*The results shown in the case study are situation and circumstance specific, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices does not guarantee such results can be reproduced for any given customer.
† Benchtop testing in porcine tissue ≤30mmHg (26mmHg average pressure experienced during intra-operative leak test), comparing Ethicon CDH29P to Medtronic (Covidien) manual EEA2835 (p<0.001) and preclinical perfusion model, in which perfusion was not significantly different between devices
‡ Impact of the Novel Powered Circular Stapler on Risk of Anastomotic Leakage in Colorectal Anastomosis. A Propensity Score-Matched Study. [ECHELON CIRCULAR 1.7% (1/60) vs. manual circular 11.8% (14/119), p=0.022]
§ Benchtop testing in 3.3mm and 4.0mm porcine tissue comparing malformed staples between ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (GST60B, GST60T) to Medtronic Signia™ Stapler with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, SIG60AXT) and Endo GIA™ with Tri-Staple™ Reloads (EGIA60AMT, EGIA60AXT). Percentage malformed results: 1.14% vs 4.28%, p < 0.05
¶ In benchtop testing in porcine stomach tissue, the ECHELON+ Stapler with GST Reloads (PSEE60A, GST60T) had less mean longitudinal change in 4.0mm thick tissue, 0.79mm vs. 4.09mm, compared to the Signia™ Stapling System (SIGPHANDLE, SIG60AXT), p-value <0.05.
β Device measurements based on a metrology study compared to HARMONIC™ ACE+7.
€ ENSEAL X1 Curved Jaw Tissue Sealer can capture, seal and transect a longer length of tissue per single activation due to a 16% (or 3.4mm) longer jaw (p < 0.001) and a 19% (or 3.5mm) longer cut length (p < 0.001) compared to LigaSure™ Maryland (LF1937).
\\ Finite element-based computational simulations (FEA) on simulated porcine tissue measuring tissue compression after approximation and staple formation, comparing average standard deviation of 5.481 for 2D staples to 5.109 for 3D staples (n=37, p<0.05).
1. Ethicon, PRC077848 Leak Claims Testing, October 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, PSB004557 A comparison of staple line perfusion between 29mm ECHELON CIRCULAR™ Powered Stapler (CDH29P) and 28mm DST Series™ EEA™ Circular Stapler (EEA2835), November 2016, Data on File (114092-201126 EMEA)
2. Pla-Martí V, Martín-Arévalo J, Moro-Valdezate D, et al. Impact of the novel powered circular stapler on risk of anastomotic leakage in colorectal anastomosis: a propensity score-matched study. Tech Coloproctol. 2021;25(3):279-284.
3. Ethicon, PRC096858A Evaluation of Malformed Staples in Thick Tissue for Claims: Echelon Flex Powered Plus Stapler with GST vs Endo GIA and Signia with Tri-Staple Technology, Aug 2020, Data on file (158877-201112 EMEA)
4. Ethicon, PRC097776A Evaluation of stomach tissue movement during stapler firing for claims: Cowbell vs Signia, Nov 2020, Data on file (160327-201124 EMEA)
5. Ethicon, PRC074607A, Buccaneer Metrology Claims, March 2016, Data on File. Ethicon, SCN075090A, Scarlet Witch Physical Equivalence memo, April 2020, Data on File (118655-210507 EMEA)
6. Ehticon, Project Floyd: Claims Metrology Report, June 2018, PRC079564B Ethicon, Floyd Relaunch Claims Metrology, June 2020, PRC095763A (145163-200630 EMEA)
7. Ethicon, 500561940A.7 Silhouette Tissue Compression Simulation [Claims – EU], Oct 2020 Ethicon, 500632160A Design Intent for Echelon Contour Curved Cutter, Jan 2021, Data on file (170554-210315 EMEA)